Could October be the savviest time of year to take a holiday?
If you're looking for a good-value break offering warm weather without the crowds then October could be the best time of year to book your break.
That's according to ABTA, with the travel association encouraging visitors to take advantage of the warm weather in some of our favourite holiday destinations including the Canary Islands, southern Spain and Cyprus. Plus, with the school holidays just around the corner, families can also take advantage by travelling in the half term break.
While the weather in October may not be as reliable as the summer months, for most destinations in Southern Europe it is warm, pleasant and generally sunny. Although some resorts are beginning to gear down in preparation for the winter season, many remain open with the advantage that numbers of visitors are much lower than the summer months, meaning fewer queues and no need to pre-book popular restaurants.
Top tip__: If you're going away in October it is worth remembering that temperatures will fall substantially after sunset, so make sure you take a jumper or warm jacket for the evening. Plus the sun will go down around 7pm, so try to start the day a little earlier to make the most of the sun.
As recommended by ABTA travel professionals, here are some October destination ideas with their average high temperatures for the month.
- Southern Spain – The resorts and beaches of the Costa del Sol, plus the world class cities of Malaga, Cordoba, Granada and Seville without the sky-high temperatures of the summer – 26 degrees
- The Southern Greek islands – Crete and Rhodes are relaxed, sun kissed without the crowds – 24 degrees
- Sicily – Great food, welcoming people and some of the best archaeological sites in Europe – 21 degrees
- Turkey – Antalya, Bodrum and Fethiye - stunning beaches with great value, good quality hotels – 26 degrees
- The Balearics – Discover Mallorca, Ibiza and Menorca at their best – 23 degrees
- Cape Verde – Long sandy beaches and quaint old towns, with delicious local food – 28 degrees
- The South of France – Nice, Cannes and Antibes lively, glamourous but uncrowded – 21 degrees
- Cyprus – A perennial favourite for UK holidaymakers is at its best at this time of year – 27 degrees
- Or why not try a European city break – Visit Rome, Barcelona, Athens without breaking the bank or try lesser known cities such as beautiful Parma in Northern Italy or the stunning university town of Salamanca in Spain.
If you're looking for a more active holiday why not explore the possibility of a traditional sailing vessel around the Turkish Aegean or cycle through Mallorca or the historic towns of Northern Italy, which are surrounded by breathtaking countryside.
Victoria Bacon, ABTA Director of Brand and Business Development said: “Savvy holidaymakers have known for years that October is one of the best times of year to take an overseas holiday. The weather in many destinations is warm and pleasant with temperatures in Southern Europe usually only starting to fall off substantially later in the year. Sea temperatures are also very pleasant after being warmed by months of summer sun."
“All this plus lower prices, uncrowded beaches, restaurants and attractions, make October a very enjoyable and sensible choice for clued-up holidaymakers.”
Don't forget your Travel Insurance
If you're going away this October one thing not to forget is your Travel Insurance.
We'll compare a range of insurers to find you the best deal with the cover you need for your holiday.
There's no age limit on single trip Travel Insurance and cover for hundreds of pre-existing medical conditions.
Justtravelcover.com provides an extremely quick and easy way to compare travel insurance cover for pre existing medical conditions and travel insurance for travellers who are over 65.
Justtravelcover.com is operated by Just Insurance Agents Limited, who is an independent agent, based in Sunderland, and specialises in providing impartial advice on travel insurance products for medical conditions and travellers who are over 65.