Award-winning Insurance policy that pays £500 for lost luggage – straight into your bank and right when you need it
We’ve all been there – the dreaded wait at the airport for your luggage to arrive, wondering why yours always seems to be the last case off the carousel.
Unfortunately, they don’t always arrive as expected – in fact, more than 9.9 million items were mishandled by the travel industry in 2021*. That’s why we launched “Smart Luggage”. With the increasing incidents of Travel Insurance lost baggage claims, Smart Luggage provides an essential safety net.
What is Smart Luggage?
Smart Luggage is Travel Insurance for luggage and personal belongings. Whether you’re travelling with a traditional suitcase, cabin bag or carry-on luggage, you could benefit from the following if your luggage is lost or delayed:
- Real-time payments straight into your bank or PayPal account of choice
- Receive £50 if your luggage is delayed and cannot be located at your destination airport*
- If your luggage is deemed lost after 48 hours receive an additional £500*
- Parametric Insurance policy
- No lengthy claims form
- Included on all gold Travel Insurance policies
- Available to buy separately or add on to bronze or silver policies from just £3.50
*Terms and Conditions apply. Flights must be registered at least 24 hours before the date of travel. All claims must be made within 48 hours of acquiring knowledge of the delay or loss. Check your policy wording for more information.
How do I buy Smart Luggage?
- Included on all gold Travel Insurance policies from Just Travel Cover
- Available to add to any silver or bronze Travel Insurance policy
- If you have a Travel Insurance policy already, you can still purchase a Smart Luggage policy from just £3.50, simply click here
- Available on single and annual trip policies
How does Smart Luggage work?
- Take a look at David’s journey below
- See Smart Luggage in action with Nicole, who claimed £550 for lost luggage earlier this year
Smart Luggage in action…
“My engagement party was on the Saturday night (the day after I landed), and I had no clothes. Even my toothbrush was in my case!”
“I had just changed travel insurance providers and this was my first trip using this service – I cannot recommend it enough.”
Smart Luggage FAQs
How is this different to baggage cover on Travel Insurance?
With Smart Luggage, an item is deemed lost after 48hours of it not arriving at your destination airport and you receive payment to buy those essential items, directly into your bank.
Do I have to pay an excess?
No, there is no excess to pay. All you need to do is make your claim within 48hours.
What is the difference between a Single and Annual Smart Luggage Policy?
- Single Trip Travel Insurance: the policyholder and each covered person can claim for one item of checked luggage on each leg of a trip
- Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance: the policyholder and each covered person can claim for one item of checked on each leg of a trip ie; both outbound and inbound up to a maximum of 3 trips each, within the period of insurance for your policy.
How many items of luggage am I insured for?
- Individual – 1 item of luggage per individual named on the policy
- Couple – 2 items of luggage
- Family – 2 items of luggage
- Group – 1 item of luggage per individual named on the policy
Additional items can be purchased by clicking here. You can only purchase a total of 10 items.
How much can I claim?
How do I register?
Your flight details need to be registered at least 24hours before you travel. Don’t worry if you forget, you will receive another reminder 7 days before you travel.
How long does the luggage need to be missing to be deemed lost?
For the claim to be processed you must ensure that you have reported your luggage missing within 48hours of arrival at your destination airport. See policy wording for more details.
How do I make a claim?
- Inform the Customer Services desk or Luggage Services desk at that destination airport that your checked luggage has not arrived on the carousel.
- If they are unable to locate your checked luggage, the Customer Services desk or Luggage Services desk will provide you with a SITA proof of loss receipt for your checked luggage containing a Personal Identification Reference Number (PIR).
Once you have retrieved the above information, you need to then login to the Smart Luggage Portal and report your luggage lost by clicking on Report Luggage.
- Enter the PIR number (this should be ten-digit reference containing five numbers and five letters).
- Enter your surname and date
- Select your Smart Luggage policy number
- Select your flight
- Take a photograph of the proof of loss receipt containing the PIR number and upload it.
- Click “report lost”.
On receipt of this information, Smart Luggage will begin to search for your missing checked luggage. If the luggage is not located 30 minutes after this, you will receive £50 into your bank or PayPal account, and if we cannot locate it after 48 hours, you will receive a further £500. You will be notified of the progress of your claim via SMS and have the option to accept payments from within the Smart Luggage portal.
Our Latest News
Just in time for Valentine's Day, Italy has been revealed as Britain's most loved holiday destination. We asked over 1,000 UK holidaymakers to tell...
Martin Lewis’ Advice on Travel Insurance Did you hear Martin Lewis on ITV's money show explaining why Travel Insurance is not just for when you’re...
Rome, the capital of Italy, is one of the world's most charismatic cities, making it the perfect destination for a Valentine's Day getaway. Whether...